South Carolina’s Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) follows the EPA guidelines requiring a UST facility to have trained Class A/B and Class C operators. In addition, once a month, Class A/B operators must maintain a Class A/B Operator Log that documents:
- Required release detection monitoring has occurred.
- Required release and equipment monitoring records are kept.
- Required equipment and system testing have been accomplished.
- Unusual operating conditions or release detection system indications have been reported and investigated.
- Routine operations and maintenance activities have been accomplished.
- Spill, overfill, and corrosion protection systems are in place and operational.
- Class C operators have been designated and trained.
The Log also verifies that the Class A/B operators visited each assigned facility at least quarterly as required by state UST regulations R. 61-92.280.35. New Class A/B operators must be trained within 30 days after starting the position, and new Class C operators must be trained before assuming responsibilities at the UST facility.
Required Class A/B training records should be sent to the DHEC, and Class C training records kept on file at the facility should be readily available for inspection.
INFO: Contact Jessica Price at 803-896-6650.