EPA Region 6 recently proposed to reissue the NPDES General Permit No. GMG290000 for existing and new sources and new dischargers in the Offshore Oil and Gas Extraction Point Source Category located in and discharging to the Outer Continental Shelf offshore of Louisiana and Texas.
The draft permit proposes to retain, with certain modifications, the limitations and conditions of the existing 2007 permit. Major changes proposed to the 2007 permit include:
- Defining operators for the purpose of this permit
- Deleting New Source Exemption language
- Adding toxicity test requirements for hydrate control fluids
- Adding spill prevention best management practices provisions
- Authorizing de minimis discharges caused by subsea safety valve testing
- Requiring electronic Notice of Intent and discharge monitoring reporting
- Establishing updated critical dilutions for whole effluent toxicity limitations for produced water.